Friday, June 19, 2020

Foundations

Before I can take advantage of any of the new resources I've got available, I really need to apply some discipline to approaching this realistically. Watching the pile of notes and books sprawl across my floor, I had to admit that I'm going nowhere without some form of organization.

I re-read the entire blog line, and I'm decidedly redundant. I posted the same info several different ways. I'm reinventing lore that I've already committed to the page. I'm scoping the project exactly the same way I did years ago, believing I'm using a new approach. So, I'm going to have to come up with a more concise bible for the construction of this thing. I can't help any one else in their journey if I can't even get out of my own way.

Documentation isn't a problem - I have HUNDREDS of pages of notes and reference. Organizing that info? Ehhhh... Not so much. THAT is one big reason why I'm screwed so far on progress. The best I can say so far is, "I'm building a space ship!" Well, that sounds complicated. And it is. Somehow I got it in my brain that I'd design and build this on the fly. Alone. That's not getting this thing done!

For anyone that's spent more than two minutes on my ramblings, I'd suspect the take-away is, "GET TO THE VERB ALREADY!" "DO SOMETHING." "SHOW ME SOMETHING!"
Fair enough. I'm sick of waking up in the middle of the night, chasing digital rabbits on the hope that some link online will lead me to the Grail of Spaceship Construction.  I have gigabytes of reference materials, much of which is obsolete and unusable. Since I didn't define the goals adequately, I kept every scrap of data that could lead to a breakthrough. I've succeeded in opening wormholes to nowhere again and again. I'm lost in my own research!

I have rarely asked for help, be it in online forums or in person. That's even more difficult when anti-social is my preferred interaction mode. Maybe I'm too proud, or maybe I just can't seem to communicate my goals effectively. Are there true goals? Do I have milestones? How do I know when I'm done a task? Did I ever even define tasks?

*Head explodes*

If you're wondering what I'm doing, I'm right there with you. So, to help both of us out, I'm going to start with some baby-steps. Break it down in small, blocky chunks and refine from there. Even a sloppy mess of ideas and mini-goals is better than nothing. I can revise it later:


  • Design and build a modular frame for the flight controls and pilot seat (Phase 1, Small Craft)
    • Practical concerns - seat must be adjustable, controls placed ergonomically
    • Multi-monitor setup placed at optimal height
    • Off-the-shelf components integrated or disguised to appear "in lore".
  • Construct the console for additional controls and indicators.
    • If space is available, construct a pilot and co-pilot station with shared throttle console
    • Place primary controls and indicators where they make the most sense.
    • Develop a unified mounting system to be able to install and swap out panels easily.
  • Develop and implement protocols for data in/data out to drive the environment effects
    • Software hook to read game data and evaluate it 
    • Signal processing and routing - Lights, sounds and special effects triggering
    • Display screens show relevant data to the participant(s) via helper apps
  • Create panels and set design elements to simulate a spacecraft environment
    • Use prop and set design techniques to create realistic simulated devices and components
    • Choose materials and finishing techniques to convey the purpose of each panel and fixture
    • Use Sintra, MDF, sheet metal and advanced painting and body work techniques to make unique futuristic interfaces and set pieces.
    • Use extensive research materials and photos to develop the environment. 
  • Build redundant controls and displays for additional "players" to use.
    • Many switches to one input (redundant controls)
    • Discreet displays and controls for specific functions 
  • Install co-pilot station 

It's a start, anyways. 














No comments:

Post a Comment