Wednesday, August 19, 2020

The Mark IX - Dominator of the Workshop!

The Build has Begun. 

----------------------------

My son and I played Evochron Legacy over the network. I set up a server and for the first time we were flying together. Having resurrected an ancient X52 Pro, i had my other controls and another computer and we flew, together, for hours. After that experience, I immediately wanted to make it better, more enjoyable. So, back to the workshop for a brand new start!

Again.



The last three tear-downs were due to a failure to integrate the "boat anchor", a genuine aircraft panel. It HAS to be integrated. Its a huge part of the feel. Its naturally beat up, and while it needs paint, I can think of so many ways to build it out. So, mounting and supporting the panel is a priority. It's an odd size, so I decided to build side-walls with an angle that would support the overhead panel, and cross-braces that provided attachment points. I needed a sturdy frame to support the sides and overhead,, so I guess I keep The Box.  The monitor mount is the main purpose for the heavy construction. It's narrow but so solid. 

The outer dimensions are set. I have a plan for two side boxes with panels and switches for a single pilot. Maybe I can build another set of panels for a dual-set configuration, but ... Scope creep kills! I'll look into it after I have a working shell.

The build up on the chair has started as well, and I framed control arms. I tried foam work (see blue board back there?) and I'll be working on resin coating once I know what I need to make. The entire interior is going to be texture rich and much more authentic to the original vision.

Hopefully all of the tools and skills I've acquired over the years start to pay off in some incredible projects. It just became fun again. 



Crappy pictures aside, I just wanted to give a "proof of life" that I am, indeed, continuing on. 

And, if I forget, remind me that I also need to plan in disassembly points, or I'm going to need full-time heat in the workshop. 

Be good. Be safe. 

-R

No comments:

Post a Comment