Saturday, May 16, 2015

Mark IV...

Three weeks ago, it was snowing...

Cabin fever set in, and I decided SOMETHING must be done towards getting something together. For a month, I set the 3 monitors on plastic boxes to get the height right, but any movement was a panic-inducing scramble. So, I bought 3 - 3 shelf closet organizers from a dollar store and set out to build a basic frame. #37.50... BOOM! A horseshoe - like structure that supports monitors and the panels!



I built two control boxes with a bit of MDF I had kicking around, and redesigned them to incorporate controller trays. Screws are definitely the preferred means of construction - I have modified the design a few times over. The circuit board is the volume control for the speakers - I need to replace the pot as there is NO volume control on my volume control.  The trackball was a welcome find as well - less real estate needed. Artoo, as always, is standing by ready to out out any fires.


I had some 45 degree construction plates and fastened an angled center section and small keyboard tray to the middle of the setup. The center keypad is a rubber USB pad mounted in a foam board frame. The screws were aggressive but it doesn't slip...  Two gaming keypads and wireless keyboard within easy reach. 

Now, on to adding the test panels! Next post, I'll share some of the design ideas and the step by step from setting up MMJOY on an Arduino Pro Micro to wiring switches and configuring and testing in-game!


----------------------------------

Addendum:

One step forward, two back. The day after I snapped the pics of the assembly, the trigger button gave out on the X45. Short term solution is to yank the wires from the throttle and connect it to the Pro Micro/MMJoy as a free-standing throttle unit. My Logitech Wingman Extreme Pro will end up being my temp flight stick. Honestly, I wasn't a fan of the X45 stick but I love the throttle. So, just a bit of wiring and testing this weekend and I should be back up to gaming.

 Long term is a full CH Products setup of Fighterstick, Throttle and Pro Pedals. Enough screwing around with mediocrity. Investing in quality products that integrate easily with few headaches is a lesson I could have learned early on. Spending the money in the right way saves time AND money. Unfortunately, my hobby budget is beaten down, so any plans for a pilot's chair have to be with what I already have on hand.



As always, updates as they happen. I'm getting ready to share the secrets of building switch panels and interfacing (as I learn them!) Do yourself a favor - LEARN FROM MY MISTAKES and enjoy the journey. While my goal is lofty and ridiculous in scope and scale, there's tons of info coming on building flight controls and interfaces for even the smallest of sim projects.

Thanks for following!

No comments:

Post a Comment