Friday, July 5, 2013

From Alpha to Omega


Thanks for checking out my posts!

Since I was about 14, I have been fascinated about the idea of creating a simulated spacecraft interior. Not the "low tech" of actual space-faring vessels - who wants a Space Shuttle sim taking up half of their living space? It takes DAYS to get halfway to the moon! Nope - I wanted a deep-space explorer like the one's from my favorite movies and books. 

She's not pristine. She's not even pretty. Hell, half of the time she doesn't even work properly!

Back then, computer technology looked green-on-black. You wanted color, you bought an Atari. No way to model any sort of believable environment without A LOT of imagination. So I scaled down, played with my Legos, and let the dream die off. There was school. Then the military. Then fumbling around, kids, divorce(s)... In short, I had to GROW UP.

As fate would have it, something in me woke up when I found a treasure trove of games, books and notes from those days long gone by. That starry-eyed kid had sent me a time capsule -"Don't open til you're OLD!" My kids were fascinated at first, but now they look at me sideways, always asking me - "Dad! Have you EATEN today?!" and roll their eyes at the gizmos, gadgets, and computer hardware scattered about the house. 

The goal, over the coming few years, is to build an enclosed spacecraft cockpit for use with games like Evochron Mercenary, the X series, and Freespace and it's mods. Anything that provides a rich, detailed sense of being "out there". I'm not developing a fighter sim here - it's a fully immersive big kid playset where every switch, light and terminal helps to engage the imagination. No motion platforms or cramped buckets - there's room for a pilot AND copilot/navigator (as long as they are small, and bathe regularly...) Best of all, this project is MODULAR - each element and piece developed from prototypes. The thrill of victory, the agony of defeat, all right here for your consideration.

As the project grows from it's infancy to a full-fledged prop-quality environment, I will be detailing the journey as best I can, even if it's just to document my journey into madness. I'll be posting ideas, research, implementation and EVENTUALLY the plans and process to build your own components and interface them!

Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment