Sunday, July 21, 2013

Gratuitous High Tech Gizmos

Well, I had to move the hardware back downstairs. Something about my son wanting at least a portion of his room back (they live with their Mom, but they like their space when they are with me). Besides, with the heat and distance from the testing computer and tools, it made more sense to have it back downstairs. So, I dismantled it. Again...

I took off the arms for the side monitors - looks like I am going with a 2-3 monitor setup, with a large main and small system monitors/touchscreens. It's NOT the wrap-around I initially went for. Post-testing, I can honestly say it wasn't all that great. (I know the aspect was off, etc.) I have seen triple 22s that are cool, but it's not the look I am going for. Besides, I can always incorporate that into the fighter/mech pit I will build with the leftover parts from this build...

I hate birthdays. Reminds me of everything I thought I would have done with my life by now. So, I get a bit bummed out. And I deal with being bummed out by buying new toys.

http://mydiycnc.com/

Yup. The kit's on it's way. Despite not having the space or ability to complete the center console enclosure, I decided to focus on the switch panels and bezels. And what better way to do that than your very own CNC machine? Yeah! That's what *I* thought!

Honestly, since all of my panels and controls are going to be custom, I would have to outsource them anyways. And that costs money. LOTS of money. I figure I can always use the machine for 2D work at my studio and make a few custom carved art pieces and make the money back. I can also cut PCBs for circuits, and create back-lit panels for all of my control units. Google it - they are SICK! Since my GeekPit is designed to be fully modular, I can swap out Evochron panels for Mechwarrior, or drop in controls for Freespace 2/Diaspora, X Series, etc...

I have to strong-arm my carpenter friends. I am running out of clamps and duct tape. Time to commit to the center console design, now that I have decided to forego the triple screen for this build. An enclosed nose and 3/4 enclosure around the pilot's chair. The monitor scheme is set, so time to start sketching and designing.

After I CNC a few switch panels...

I'll post the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment